Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Figured it out!!!! (the website however is still in Thai;)














ok...no one knows why these pictures are arranged like this...but...at least it's pictures...
clockwise from top left:
the pack-horse...my distinguished airport shuttle driver;)...the pink and purple airline...the inside of my humble abode...the international community school where my classes are held(picture taken from the balcony of my apartment...)

While the last few days have been filled with new sights, new people and new smells, the most incredible thing to consider is that I am on the other side of the world from all of you...and that people here live life just like we do...only different...but it's still this day to day thing...Thailand is a lot like America, but completely different (well the city anyway). Bangkok, or what I've seen of it so far, consists of the usual city sights: shopping, street vendors, museums, parks, cars, buses, etc. Oh yeah and then there are these monstrous statues of gods and the King;) I went walking to the local grocery store today...small back-roads where the cars and motor bikes have to make way for the people rather than vice-versa. The people are completely chill as they just stroll along and find what they want for dinner, then proceed to take funny colored liquids home in clear plastic baggies. Stray dogs line the side walks and lots of puddles left over from the night's torrential downpour need to be consciously avoided. The walk was not bad and the heat is very tolerable. The humidity is the hard part...I ended up getting a ride back to campus from a Thai woman who recognized me from the Smile Post-a place to go on the internet and mail various things. I've only been there once but I suppose I'm pretty recognizable considering I'm the only person with blonde hair in the vicinity. No jet-lag and no sickness of any kind from the food yet;)(My apologies for taking so long to post. I'd intended to do it yesterday but the internet went down on campus...aghh.)Consider this the Tuesday blog...even though it's Wednesday...on this side of the world;)












3 comments:

Ministry Mom said...

What I found hard was that living in Asia, I couldn't fathom how life functioned in the USA and living in the USA, it's hard to fathom how it functions in Asia! You've got great lookin' digs. Keep pushing yourself to observe and see new things. In another few days the street scenes will be old hat but you'll never blend into the woodwork!

Enjoy!

-C said...

Yeah for pictures ... loved the pink/purple! Apt. looks quite "comfy" as Sam would say. ;)
Definitely want to know more about the funny liquids in bags ...

mem said...

have you tried the food yet? let me know how spicy it is...does it definitely beat a 5 star?